We’re looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join the rapidly growing Engineering team at our University of Oxford machine learning start-up. We are a group of passionate and highly skilled individuals working together to achieve our vision of a future where AI and Humans collaborate to solve the world’s most important problems.
Location: We’ve been working successfully as a fully remote team during the pandemic and are open to this role being remote, part-remote or office based within a (+/- 2hrs GMT).
You will love getting stuck-in; taking ideas from concept through to production, making elegant and maintainable solutions to complex data-centric problems, and working with an awesome team of engineers building exciting new products.
Your passion for software engineering and product development will allow you to thrive in our start-up environment. Our collaborative, flexible and autonomous way of working will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn and explore new technologies and tools, whilst driving us forward to make our vision a reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll be responsible for driving software engineering best practice at all times. Designing and developing features across all levels of web-based systems (full-stack) and rapidly prototyping, exploring and testing ideas. It will involve building and iterating on new features with users to help solve real problems.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Strong technical skills across multiple levels of a web-app stack - we don't expect everyone to be an expert in every aspect of frontend, backend & devops, but you’ll need to have skills & experience across multiple levels.
- At least 2 years of commercial software engineering experience across all parts of a software development life cycle
- Experience working in an iterative Agile environment
- Experience with at least two of the core technologies in our stack (React, Spring, Flask, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Machine Learning)
- A degree in a technical discipline such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, etc. or equivalent commercial experience.
GREAT TO HAVE
- Wider software engineering skills (e.g. scripting, ops, ui/ux, design, databases, etc)
- Experience architecting and designing complex software systems
- Experience working closely with users, working out what to build and why
- Understanding of Machine Learning, AI or Data Science, including experience deploying ML in production or commercial applications
- Familiarity with other technologies in our stack (protobuf/grpc, Apache Arrow, Parquet, Redux, AWS, Node)
- Experience with modern numeric or big data frameworks, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Spark, Numba, Kafka
We understand that there may not be such a thing as ‘the perfect candidate’ and no single person can do it all. However, if this sounds like you, or what you believe you can be and you're looking for somewhere you can thrive, we would love to hear from you.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You mean, as well as joining a talented and fun team of scientists, engineers and problem-solvers dedicated to innovation, ethical AI, the pursuit of knowledge and making the world a better place? Well, we believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development. We strive to ensure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package and an awesome work environment in Summertown (Oxford, UK), if that’s where you choose to work from. We also offer great benefits such as:
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- 25 days holiday (excl bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Life cover
- Flexible working
- Professional and personal development
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, office treats etc - even in our current Covid world!