We’re looking for an experienced Machine Learning Engineer to join our University of Oxford start-up in our rapidly growing Engineering team, a group of passionate and highly skilled individuals working together to achieve our vision of a future where AI and Humans work together to solve the world’s most important problems
You'll work in an Agile environment, alongside passionate and talented colleagues, who'll value your opinion and encourage you to be an active team member. Our collaborative, flexible and autonomous way of working will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn and explore new technologies and tools, whilst driving us forward to make our vision a reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role is there for you to make your own. Using your experience and expertise to support the development of our core products and tools. You could for example, be working on what it means for a model to be “healthy”, how you would measure “health”, how you would communicate it to our non-data scientist users, and how you would make your algorithms robust against any data. Some of the key areas will be:
- Researching, prototyping, implementing and adapting ML algorithms to work efficiently on real-world data and problems
- Prototyping clear and intuitive ways to communicate and visualize complex data insights
- Identifying and optimising performance bottlenecks
- Contributing to the wider development process
- Upholding the company responsibility of doing ML the right way
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 2 years+ Commercial experience (or equivalent) of working in Python
- 2 years+ experience deploying ML in production or commercial applications
- A solid understanding of the numeric Python ecosystem
- Strong analytical skills, and a good understanding of probability and statistics
- A broad understanding of data science and software engineering
- The ability to explain complex ideas and concepts in a way that anyone can understand
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with modern numeric or big data frameworks, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Spark, Numba, Kafka
- An interest in designing & developing features across all levels of web-based systems (full-stack)
- Wider software engineering skills (e.g. Java, Node, Spring, React, PostgreSQL, Linux, Docker, Git, software architecture, devops, databases, etc)
- Experience working iteratively with customers and/or users, as part of an Agile software development life cycle.
- Interest in sharing knowledge through training and educational sessions
We understand that there may not be such a thing as ‘the perfect candidate’ and no single person can do it all. However, if this sounds like you, or what you believe you can be and you're looking for somewhere you can thrive, we would love to hear from you.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You mean, as well as joining a talented and fun team of scientists, engineers, storytellers and problem-solvers dedicated to innovation, ethical AI, the pursuit of knowledge and making the world a better place? Well, we believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development. We strive to ensure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package, an awesome work environment in Summertown (Oxford, UK), if that’s where you choose to work from. We also offer great benefits such as:
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- 25 days holiday (excl bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Physical and mental health well-being initiatives e.g. discounts on gym memberships and sportswear & equipment, free fitness & nutrition programmes and professional mental health support sessions
- Life cover
- Flexible working
- Professional and personal development
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, office treats etc - even in our current Covid world!